Sunday 7 March 2010

Road to the Oscars Part 7: Documentary (Feature), Foreign Language Film and Directing

Nearly done with all that. I’ve decided not to bother doing the score and original song. Crazy Heart will win the later one, though it could be something from Princess and the Frog. I have no idea on the score though. Didn’t have time to check out the shorts and I couldn’t see them all anyway. I’d have been going by plot descriptions and maybe trailers for the most part. I’ll give Aardman my pic for short cartoon.

Documentary (Feature)

Burma VJ = Powerful stuff about something that’s been sidelined in the news even though the situation is still shit to worse.
The Cove = Really really horrible, to the extent that I cried a bit. It’s also a very well made doc showing how they got the terrible (in content) footage. In a way this is kind of a making of, but it’s a doc so that’s fine.
Food, Inc = While it has an important message, it’s not exactly one that people are ignorant of
I didn’t see “The Most Dangerous Man In America” or “Which Way Home”

Has to be The Cove. It’s the best made of the 3 I saw, though Burma does have to work with what they’ve got. Food Inc was the food version of An Inconvenient Truth in tone, though thankfully without the Al Gore biography stuff. The Cove earned it.

Foreign Language Film

Ajami = Didn’t see
The Milk of Sorrow (La Teta Asustada) = Load of bizarre arse about a mentally disturbed woman with a tattie in her bajingo. No thanks.
A Prophet (Un Prophete) = Decent prison drama that has a unique ish “crime does kinda pay” message to it. Not as hard hitting as it should have been, everything is just a bit too easy
The Secret In Their Eyes (El Secreto De Sus Ojos) = I really really liked this. It’s literally the only one I’ve recommended, and I’ve done that a lot, to people and most of that is because of that amazing scene half way through.
The White Ribbon (Das Weisse Band) = As exciting as the title sounds. Load of incredibly boring arse with no likeable characters or human emotion on display. No wonder these kids will end up being Nazi’s in 20 years…

My choice is pretty easy, The Secret In Their Eyes was by far my favourite followed by A Prophet. I did want to see Ajami as I think I’ll like that too, but never mind. I have a horrible feeling that The White Ribbon will win for some reason, though I hope it’ll be A Prophet as I don’t think Eyes is in with a shot unfortunately.

Directing

Avatar = Jim Bob might have made a fuck load of money, but as far as Directing goes I consider this the only animated movie in the category. Not saying he’s a bad director though
The Hurt Locker = Fucking amazing film, damned fine job
Inglorious Basterds = It’s QT, who doesn’t like QT
Precious: Yadda Yadda = Yeah sure why not
Up In The Air = Fine enough stuff from Egon’s kid.

Hurt Locker Hurt Locker Hurt Locker. If it doesn’t win it’s a travesty, particularly if Avatar does. Basterds should get a script not if anything, Up In The Air might get an acting one but I didn’t find it hugely remarkable, Precious will probably get something but I can’t remember what…

One last post like this, the biggie, Best God Damned Picture Over All And We List The Guys Who Work Out The Money For Some Reason

No comments: