Sunday 7 March 2010

Road To The Oscars Part 4: Costume Design, Editing and Make up

Pretty clothes, good construction and pretty faces

Costume Design

Bright Star = Mainly contemporary stuff, though I suspect that the clothes worn by the female lead who’s character has an interest in such things are original. I though they looked largely awful though
Coco Before Chanel = well duh. It’s about a fashion designer. However, I’m pretty sure anything in this that would stand out would just be copying Chanel clothing and not coming up with anything yourself.
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus = Some WEIRD clothes for the performance sections, though a fair bit of this is just suits and the like
Nine = The musical sections have musical type clothing, the rest of the time is largely contemporary clothes for the period. The costumes are very well done though
The Young Victoria = Contemporary costumes for the time period again

I guess I’d give this to Nine really, though its not exactly innovative. Maybe Parnassus. I’d guess it will probably go to Chanel though. This category has a tendency to piss me off as it goes to films that are period pieces and its just copying whatever styles people wore at the time rather than inventing new stuff.

Film Editing

Avatar
District 9
The Hurt Locker
Inglorious Basterds
Precious: Based on a book

This is a tricky one to comment on really. BAD editing is noticed, the point about good editing is that it isn’t. This is a bit of a roll the dice category for me, so I’ll chuck my vote to Inglorious Basterds just because. I’d be fine with any of the middle 3 winning it, but big blue might.

Make up:

Il Divo = Not sure why, another one that I’d understand El Secreto having a nod
Star Trek = Makes perfect sense as there’s some in it
The Young Victoria = makes perfect sense in a world of adverts, but not for special achievement in make up…

The only one that should be here is Star Trek and District 9 should be joining it. This is another annoying one for me as it’s generally filled with films that are just about making people who look attractive look MORE attractive. As far as I’m concerned this should be a practicle version of special effects, special make up effects. The only film that fits that bill is Star Trek, so you know who I’m rooting for.

Next Up: Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects

No comments: