Friday 12 March 2010

Movie 71: Green Street 2: Stand Your Ground

Some members of the GSE were banged up after the end of the last film, and find themselves transferred to a prison with their Millwall (I think) rivals. The bad guys are teamed up with a corrupt screw who makes hell for our…ahem…heroes. A decent guard tries to help them out, as does some Russian mafia (again I think) members who compete with them for business.

A direct to DVD sequel that doesn’t feature the main characters from the first film? Bound to be awesome. Apparently the characters in this were part of the original crew. At one point they recount a bit of the first film so I’ll take their word for it as I can’t really remember.

This wouldn’t be that bad a film if the script didn’t sound like it was written by a 16 year old. Guys acting all hard and saying cunt every 5 words does not a good script make. Also if you worry that there hasn’t been a fight scene for 3 minutes just wait an extra minute and one will turn up. If you like seeing idiots hit each other a lot this is the film for you. In 90 minutes there must be 6287613 fights.

Well I say fights. The majority of the time its one guy hitting another guy while he takes the beating, then maybe hits back. And a few times its really hard to see who is who as one bald idiot with a goatee looks like another one.

This also features probably the least subtle corrupt prison officer you will ever see in a film. Marina Siritis, yes Councillor Troi from Star Trek, plays a woman guard who swears a lot and gets people hit in front of cameras a lot. Her character doesn’t even try to be subtle about being a bitch. And I’d say her scenes are among the worst.

It’s not really her fault though. In fact its not really most of the actors faults, they all do a decent enough job with what they’re given but its so badly written that it doesn’t matter. There’s moments, but it’s just moments. The best characters are the Russians and they are under used.

It also has a pretty good old school punk soundtrack. The problem is that the punk tunes appear at random and for no real purpose. I’d skip the movie and try and find the sound track if you like head bangy stompy punk music.

I didn’t expect much and I got pretty much what I expected. It’s actually a bit better than I set myself up for, but not by much.

Next up: Live!

No comments: