Sunday 7 March 2010

Road To The Oscars Part 5: Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects

Ah, the hard to pick categories. The first two anyway. Why there are TWO sound Oscars I’ll never know. I think it’s from when the talkies came in and no one has thought to get rid of the other one.

Sound Editing

Avatar
The Hurt Locker
Inglorious Basterds
Star Trek
Up

All good sound editing, like all good editing, isn’t noticeable. And if you can’t form a rich environment you have no business in doing this at a professional level. I do quite a bit of voice acting and I’ve heard some damned awful mixes, and some really good mixes, but there should be no damned awful mixes on a $100 Million movie. So, Star Trek.

Sound Mixing

Avatar
The Hurt Locker
Inglorious Basterds
Star Trek
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

See? You tell me the difference between the two. Go on. No idea huh? Inglorious Basterds it is then.

Visual Effects

Avatar
District 9
Star Trek

Now this one I CAN judge. Why this is cut to 3 and the other two from today have 5 I don’t know. This is a no brainer category this year because James Cameron genetically modified some actors and built a planet or something. It’s a shame actually, as District 9 really really earned it. Alas Avatar really really really earned it. Well in most peoples opinion. The new cameras and techniques sure, but I thought the creatures were nothing special. Plants were good though. It’s Avatars.

Next Up: Writing Adapted and Original

No comments: