Sunday 14 March 2010

Movie 73: Step Brothers

Two doctors meet at a convention, they hit it off and get married. They both have sons that still live at home and are around 40. When they move in together these two guys have a hard time getting along. Hilarity ensues.

Well, it didn’t for me. Apparently it did for many others (a Facebook status saying this was shit got a fair bit of ire, a conversation on the bus with my gf had her completely agreeing with me on the shitness and the one funny bit) so maybe take this with a pinch of salt.

I will say that me not liking this didn’t have anything to do with any personal problem with the set up. I’m 30, on the day of publishing strangely enough, and I still live with my mum. It’s purely for financial reasons, though I guess if it was a shittier living arrangement I’d live in near squalor at my own place instead. Many people are in the same kind of situation now. 10 years ago these guys could have been 30 instead of 40 and it might have worked a bit better.

The problem I had was that they’re billed as losers. THAT in and of itself is perfectly fine. They are. They can’t hold down or get a job. The problem is that there’s a difference between being a slacker or a loser and being border line, if not actually, retarded which is how the characters come across. Even simple stuff like them having a beer with dinner might have helped, but they drink soda as if they were 8. I’ve never seen losers portrayed as childishly as the dudes in this film.

Essentially it looks like a very standard comedy was written with two young boys, somewhere between 8 and 14, having trouble dealing with their parents getting remarried and moving in together. No one would make it as it wasn’t all that funny. So they changed the ages on the script, threw in some more swears and a bit of plot about getting your life together, then didn’t change anything else. Cause that’s funny right?

It wasn’t. Not for me anyway. I’ve always found Will Ferrell to be hit or miss, and this missed as far as I’m concerned. Same goes for John C Reilly. And there aren’t any likeable side characters either. The dick brother is actually a full on dick head. His wife is weird as fuck. The parents are fine, but they must still be in that film with the 8-14 year olds as they don’t react the way they should most of the time.

The one funny bit comes in the credits. This is a spoiler but who the fuck cares. John C Reilly’s character is regularly bullied by some kids in a local park (yeah, that makes lots of sense. That IS a little funny btw, but plays on the retarded angle again). The two of them are beaten up in an earlier scene including poop, hahahahaha. In the credits the now successful (which happens easily for them so why the fuck didn’t it happen earlier) guys turn up in a helicopter and beat the shit out of the kids. It’s a bit like the end of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and it is pretty funny.

Unfortunately I had to sit through 90 minutes of balls to get there.

Next up: Surveillance

No comments: