Thursday 4 March 2010

Movie 63: Rec

But Dave, you already saw Rec

Why yes, who ever reads this I have. But that was the American remake. This is the original Spanish movie

It’s the same damned movie essentially. In fact I’m typing this as I’m watching it, which I never do. And it’s in a language I don’t speak. The ending is subtly different though.

It actually gives me a chance to talk about US remakes of foreign language movies. I won’t bother with a plot synopsis as this is beat for beat the same film. However, the US version had a bigger budget so looks better and has better effects. And the cast were better actors.

I can understand people being mad about remakes, I really can. Particularly when they take the heart out of the original and churn something standard out. I don’t think this is an example of that though. The thing that you have to realise is that people in Europe and other foreign countries are used to subs and dubbing. Most of what they see was originally in English after all. However, those of us in the English speaking world just aren’t. I watch a fair few foreign movies so it doesn’t bother me, but I do notice it. So for a film to do well it basically has to be in English.

When done right, as was the case with Rec, it’s fine. They basically used the same script, punched it up a bit, hired some better actors and made a glossier version of the same movie. I’m fine with that. The original is still a success, they get some money and the people in them get to have some kind of career (I assume). And a bunch of people get to see a story they wouldn’t normally see.

In an ideal world everyone would just see the originals, but its not that world so this is the solution really. And us smart people can’t complain. When was the last time you read a book in Dutch? Or Japanese? Never. Why should films be any different? I wouldn’t go and see a Spanish play with scrolling subtitles or a translator like they have at the UN so I do get why some people don’t like watching foreign movies. Add to the fact that this is more like a big budget remake as well and I doubt you’d see too many film fans complaining. After all, no one has a problem with Evil Dead 2.

For the record I’ve never understood why Sam Raimi says its basically a remake as the story is quite different, but I guess the themes are the same. Plus there’s no continuity.

And to be fair to the original Rec, I’d have said that it looked and felt like a student movie in quality and acting. That they did well with the effects but I would have liked to have seen less obvious cheats used to get around the budget. And that they could have done with fleshing it out a little as the plot jumps a few times. Oh, and it contains far too much screaming. Stuff they improved in the remake then, though that still has too much screaming…

Next up: The Unborn

No comments: