Wednesday 3 March 2010

Road to the Oscars Part 2: Best Actress and Supporting Actress

Time for the ladies!

Actress In A Leading Role

Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side = I’ve ranted about Bullock before, think it was in a different review, and how she’s only really impressed me in one film and generally she sucks. This hasn’t really changed, and that film wasn’t The Blind Side. There’s nothing amazing about this performance outside the fact that she DOESN’T suck out loud. The nomination baffles me.
Helen Mirren in The Last Station = haven’t seen, Helen is always good though
Carey Mulligan in An Education = For some reason, mainly appearance I think, Carey Mulligan reminded me of my cousin Katie a fair bit in this. Not that that matters. It’s a damned fine performance and she’s given plenty to play with as a young girl living a life too grown up for her.
Gabourey Sidibe in Precious: Etcetcetc = Yeah fine. The problem I have with this performance is that I can’t see her playing anything else ever. She’s more or less playing herself, though possibly a grumpy version of herself. It’s relatively one not, or a couple of notes but one at a time. Not that she sucked, but wasn’t the best thing in the movie.
Meryl Streep in Julie And Julia = the movie that inspired this blog kinda! Like Helen Mirren they probably draw up this category with a “Meryl Streep in *insert film here*” place holder then pick one of her movies from that year as she’s always good. No exception here, playing a flamboyant Julia Childs

Depressingly this might, probably will, go to Bullock going by the buzz and she’ll get it in to her head that she has some talent of some kind. Which she does, but she has to try for it. Which she didn’t here. I would give it to Carey out of this lot, having not seen Helen Mirren though I doubt that would effect my pick.

Actress in Supporting Role

Penelope Cruz in Nine = Fuck Penelope Cruz
Vera Farmiga in Up In The Air = The older business chick love interest. I say this as I had to look up the film to see who was who, I’m crap for that. Realistic performance, great chemistry with Clooney, doesn’t miss any beats
Maggie Gyllenhaal in Crazy Heart = I had to check her name 3 times to make sure I’d spelled it correctly. I hadn’t. Very nice performance this but she’s the female lead so it would be in the previous category, no? Good range on show here and Maggie performs it admirably.
Anna Kendrick in Up In The Air = The young upstart. She’s given a wide range and strong character arc to play with and plays well. Some moments could have been over played but weren’t, though she’s a bit TOO understated at time in my opinion.
Mo’Nique in Precious: Longassedtitle = I’m not familiar with her comedy work, but that doesn’t matter so much. This all hinges on the final scene in the film for her character. Up until that point she’s just been a bitch, but the raw emotion on show in that last scene earned this nomination in the same way that Viola Davis did last year in Doubt.

This isn’t even a race is it? If Mo’Nique hadn’t been nominated I’d actually be calling for Mariah Carrey and I never thought I’d say that. But the Academy must have realised that nominating a diva for coming across as a human was a bit pointless really. If anyone else gets this, which they won’t, it should be Maggie.

Next up: Animated, Art and Cinematography

No comments: