Thursday 11 February 2010

Movie 42: Coco Before Chanel

Two young girls are left at an orphanage by their father. They grow up to be a cabaret act, though not really a successful one. The eldest hooks up with a baron, and the younger of the two (Coco) slowly ends up with another, and an English gent. She’s harsh and has a taste for simpler fashions than is the style, but has a talent for making hats.

Blah blah. This never clicked with me to be honest. We all know that Coco is going to become a clothes designer as who hasn’t heard of Chanel? Unfortunately I don’t care about clothes. If you do the last 10 minutes will probably be heaven, but it was just a bunch of walking mannequins as far as I’m concerned.

I never really cared about most of the characters either. Coco herself is extremely staid most of the time, basically just grumpy. And the men are either boorish or gentlemanly cads. Two women at a time is never romantic in my book.

So this was a bit of a tough watch and I don’t have much to say about it really. It was a boring period romance in French with some not very good romance.

I did like the little Coco song they were doing in their cabaret act though

Next up: Up In The Air

No comments: