Saturday 6 February 2010

Movie 37: The Secret of Kells

Nicked synopsis from Criticker/Wikipedia:

The story is set in the 9th century. Twelve year old Brendan is educated by his uncle, Abbot Cellach, who holds a firm grip on his nephew and expects him to follow in his footsteps. One day, Brendan meets Brother Aidan, a master illustrator who shows him the beauty of art and stimulates his creativity and fantasy. Finally, Brendan decides to break free in search of his dream: completing the valuable Book of Kells. On his journey through the forest, he has to face his biggest fears.

His biggest fears being the outside world, wolves, Vikings and the third dimension apparently.

If I said the plot and story had no depth I wouldn’t be being strictly accurate as there is some. It’s a bit tedious and not all that exciting or funny or…anything but its not terrible. Brother Aidan is a likeable character, Abbot Cellach is well voiced by Brendan Gleeson and Aidan’s cat (who going by the end appears to be either immortal, magical or remarkably sprightly for an old cat. I have an 18 year old cat and she’s not anywhere close to as nippy as……..couldn’t make out its name) has some personality about it.

If I said the FILM had no depth though, I’d be right. This is HIGHLY stylised. I guess the style is a bit like Samurai Jack in places but it felt fairly 70’s to me. It’s extremely 2 dimensional, and by that I mean very very flat. Now I have no problem with styles, I like some. But I also don’t like others. It’s a personal taste thing and everyone is the same.

I used to read a fair number of comics. As much as I’m attracted to comics by the writing, Warren Ellis being a particular favourite, art plays a big part. I like the style of The Amazing Wolfman which isn’t the most conventional, but I can’t read Hellboy. Haven’t even tried as the art puts me off too much. I really like the films, well the first one mainly the second is alright, and I love the premise. I’d probably really like the comics writing and plot. But I just can’t read it.

And that’s the main problem I had with this. At times the art was really quite nice. The way the Viking horde was portrayed, bar their long boats, worked quite well though not always. But big square characters, flat forests and rectangular hands annoyed me. I’m guessing it was done in the style of Bible illuminations which makes sense and I can understand, but it just didn’t work for me.

All in all it felt kind of like a student production. There’s 57 companies at the start of this and it appears to be an Irish/Canadian/French/Whoever production which sometimes rings warning bells for me. Your in for some arty nonsense with a narrow appeal when they need funding from all over.

Not terrible, but far from great. The Oscar nomination baffles me a bit but I suppose its so they have an arty entry. I’d not have bothered and given it to Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs myself…

Next up: Food, inc.

No comments: