Thursday 4 February 2010

Movie 35: The Stone of Destiny

The true (ish) story of a group of students in 1950 who steal the Stone of Destiny back from the English. The Stone is what Scotland’s Kings were crowned on, and is part of the British coronation chair. After a group called the Covenant fail to get a devolved parliament for Scotland the group realise its because people have pretty much given up, so decide they need a symbol and the stone would be perfect.

You get the jist.

RIGHT first off I’m a Scottish Nationalist and proud of that fact. I write Scottish on forms. I vote SNP. I campaigned in the “Vote Yes” referendum that got us a devolved parliament and I also campaigned for the Inverness East constituency in the, I think, 2000 election? Might have been 99. We won anyway and it wasn’t an SNP seat before that. What I’m saying is I’m biased.

So I could go on a big screed here about various reasons WHY people wouldn’t want to be Independent. Why a lot of Scottish people feel the way they do. Little things like Queen Elizabeth the second should actually be called the second and first as Scotland never had a Queen Elizabeth before her, and big things like the Poll Tax. BUT I won’t cause that’s not what this blog is about

I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. I already knew the story, think most people do. Scottish kids anyway, I’m pretty sure I heard about it in history class. And they do miss out a big part which is the rumour/myth that the stone which was given back is a fake. If you want to learn a bit about that then watch the final episode of Hamish Macbeth staring Robert Carlyle as that’s what its about. It’s a bit overly patriotic probably, but I’m alright with that cause I can be too.

I did have one big issue with it though, something that dropped a 5 star to 4. You have to go three down the cast list on IMDB to find someone Scottish. The two main actors aren’t from here. The lead, Charlie Cox, is from London and his accent can be fairly patchy. He does an okay job, but I can hear it coming through. The female lead, Kate Mara, is from New York. Her accent at time is decidedly Irish. Now I have heard worse than these two, but couldn’t they find anyone local?! I was available! And the right flippin age!

That aside it is good, if a big capery at the start of the third reel. But we’ve had William Wallace played by an American, Rob Roy played by an Irishman, and now this. Any chance of a Scottish film with more than a Scottish supporting cast please? I work cheap dammit!

Next up: The Princess And The Frog

No comments: