Wednesday 10 February 2010

Movie 41: How To Lose Friends And Alienate People

This is also movie 1400 that I’ve rated on Criticker. While that’s not a definitive list, its roughly everything I’ve ever watched. Yay! That’s nearly a movie a week since I was born :S

Anyway, Sydney Young is the writer and editor of Post Modern Magazine, a small magazine about movies and such like. He’s opinionated and a bit of an arse. He gets offered a job in New York working for I want to say Snope’s Magazine, one of the biggest rags in the business. So he goes hoping to shake things up, but finding that he gets corrupted himself.

And when he moved he forgot to pack the funny. This is based on someone’s memoir apparently and god they had a dull life. Okay that’s not quite fair as my own memoir would be a lot more boring, but as this is meant to be a comedy they missed a bit. I laughed once.

Simon Pegg is a damned fine actor, and he can be funny as hell. However, the two non Spaced team movies I can remember seeing him in have been rather flat. This and Run, Fatboy, Run are both relatively generic rom com type fair with Pegg playing someone who’s a bit of a cock. Both have had lacklustre scripts and have just been a bit standard really.

It’s not a terrible film, but there’s nothing particularly great about it either. Pegg and most of the cast do fine, Megan Fox pouts her way through the whole thing (I think the character is supposed to be a bit vapid, but she literally NEVER fully closes her mouth). I can’t actually remember what the one laugh was, but the majority of jokes can be seen coming from a mile away and the love story is generic and not organically developed.

Not saying to avoid it, just don’t go on a hunt.

Next up: Coco Before Chanel

No comments: