Tuesday 6 April 2010

Movie 96: Yes Man

Carl (Jim Carrey) has a very boring life. He closes himself off from everyone and says no a lot. He runs in to an old friend while have lunch one day, and he turns him on to a self help program where you say yes to everything. Reluctant at first, Carl goes to a seminar and makes a covenant to say yes. And it starts to bring him some good results.

Jim Carrey is 48. When this was made, he was 46. Zooey Deschanel, the romantic interest, was 28. I give you these facts for one very important reason. Carrey is a little bit too old for this role.

Not so much for the love story with Zooey’s character. You never hear what Carl’s age is, I’m guessing he’s meant to be mid thirties, and they don’t look like father and daughter or anything. But he doesn’t look young enough. When he’s doing his mugging thing, and he does it a LOT, you can see the lines. Now I have no problem with people getting older, but I do if they are cast wrong. I wouldn’t cast myself as a 16 year old high school student after all.

And the mugging is the second big problem. Carrey can act, he can over act. I’m sure he can do the middle. And that’s what the material called for. There’s no need for Yes Man to come across as Liar, Liar 2. It’s good material, it would have worked a lot better if he’d dialled it back a little. Of course I wouldn’t have cast him in the first place because of the age issue, but still…it would have worked if it was down a notch or two. And he can’t act drunk for shit.

Those complaints aside, it’s a pretty decent movie. It’s also a good message. We should all probably say yes to more things. I know I’ve probably spent the odd night in that I didn’t have to. The one thing I can think of is that I didn’t go down to my girlfriends sisters about a year ago for an impromptu music festival thing. Can’t remember why, but I should have just gone as it looked like it was a great time. I’ll be going next time for sure.

The supporting cast in this is all fine. Bradley Cooper is the cool best friend, like everything else Bradley Cooper is in at the moment. Which is everything. And I’m fine with that as I liked him a lot as Will in Alias and hoped he’d make it big. And I love Zooey Deschanel, I don’t care what anyone else says. No idea why Terrance Stamp is in this as the Yes Guru, pay reasons probably. Should have been Danny Wallace.

Because this is based on a Danny Wallace non fiction book. There’s a lot of that at the moment. Apparently the fiction section isn’t big enough for Hollywood any more. A number of films are being based on non fiction work for some reason, maybe the rights are cheaper…

Bank holiday watch at best I’d say, unless you’re a huge Carrey fan. I like him, but I like him to act more now. Unless it’s a kids or family movie. Or the Number 23. That was fucking AWFUL

Next up: Inkheart

No comments: