Thursday 22 April 2010

Movie 112: The Broken Hearts Club

A character piece about a group of friends who hang out together and play softball. It covers somewhere between 6 months and a year in there lives and the introduction of a new guy to the group. Oh, and they all like cock.

That’s pretty much the point. The way I wrote that. Sure there’s plenty of gay stuff in here, guys hooking up (nothing graphic though) and they all act gay but besides that……its not that big a deal.

The way I see it this is kind of like the Kevin Smith film that he would have made if he was his brother, and was a bit less vulgar. Or for probably a better comparison, it’s a bit like St Elmo’s Fire which they directly call out at one point.

As far as I’m aware much of the cast aren’t actually fags. The 3 I’m pretty damned sure on are John Mahoney, Frasier’s Dad, who plays Jack the matriarch of the group. Much of the action centers around Jack’s bar where a lot of the guys seem to work, and he’s the guy who runs the softball team. He’s the glue for these guys friendships.

Dean Cain is straight too, I think. Imaginatively he plays a very attractive trying to make it actor. And he’s funny and charming. So Dean Cain from what I’ve seen then.

And there’s the now famous straight guy who’s damned near gay, Zach Braff. He made this RIGHT BEFORE Scrubs. In fact this was it before Scrubs for him. And the talent shows through right off. He gets plenty to play with and….well you’ve seen Scrubs you’ve seen the range. Think JD if he just finally got it on with Turk and was done with it.

Timothy Olyphant is the lead here. He’s a fine enough actor even if he did play it a bit broad at times for my liking. And…..oh fuck it I’m not doing a cast list review. Or ruining the plot.

What this is is 90 minutes of what the gay world is like. You have insecure guys, far too secure guys, dudes who work out too much and do drugs, dudes who can’t commit, a new dude that can barely admit he’s gay and an old queen watching over them all from time to time. And it’s great. I love a good character piece and that’s what this is.

If you have a problem with the gays then avoid this. You won’t like it. I don’t thankfully, be a bit fucked in the acting world if I did. Hell, there’s been periods where I was hit on by dudes and there was nary a woman in sight which was flattering if depressing. I’ve known many a homo, and this film portrays them perfectly in my experience. So if you sick of flouncing Jack or Julia Roberts best friend in whatever rom com then check this out.

Pretty much just paraphrased the movie there, then went meta with the theme a couple of times.

Next up: Moon

No comments: